Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Walnut Cake

I have begun my hunt for Advent recipes. Unlike last year, where I was over come with sorrow because of the move, this year I am in high festive spirits and intend to prepare both Indian and German sweets for X'mas.

Imagine my surprise when leafing through the pages of the Good Housekeeping magazine, I found this recipe listed as a traditional Indian Christmas recipe. All the while I thought that the rich plum cake was the Indian traditional  recipe.  Anyway, I didn't bother to do further research on the topic and thought to myself "Well Mr. Walnut cake, I am not gonna wait for X'mas to bake you!! I am gonna bake and we are gonna eat you now!!! :D" Funny that I called a cake Mr. :)


Ingredients :
  • 250g unsalted butter
  • 250g sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 250g flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 300g walnuts, coarsely chopped
  • 5 drops vanilla essence
  • 50g walnuts, halved



Method :

  1. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and keep creaming.
  2. Sieve together flour and baking powder
  3. Fold chopped walnuts into the flour mixture. Add to the creamed butter and fold in. Add vanilla essence too.
  4. Line 8-inch cake tin with butter paper. Pour in batter. Arrange walnut halves on top(optional). Bake at 180 deg celsius till golden brown. Insert toothpick; if it comes out clean, cake is ready.
  5. You can replace walnuts with mixed nuts, or mixed/dried candied fruit and peels - spike them with some rum or brandy if you like. Line with butter paper when packing.


So, what do you think?  Does this qualify for an X'mas cake without the rum and spice???

2 comments:

  1. Hello.. Love to try this cake so could you please give me the measurements in terms of measuring cups.. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link that should help you convert to measuring cups..
      http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/

      Delete