Monday, February 27, 2012

Carrot Halwa/Gajar ka Halwa

I do not remember when I made this favorite dessert of ours last. I only know that each time I prepared it, I hoped that it would last for as long as possible given the fact that I had spent hours grating the carrots by hand and then having sore arms for a day or two.  But it never was meant to be. I would increase the quantity of carrots by the kilo and yet, every time this halwa would find a place into my family's tummies as often as possible. 
With my new Bosch Mum I decided to give it a try and was I amazed with how fast and easy it turned out.

Ingredients:

  • 1 kilo carrots, washed, peeled and grated
  • 400 gm milkmaid or sweetened condensed milk
  • 5-6 tablespoons ghee
  • 150 gm sugar *
  • raisins to garnish
  • 1and a half tsp cardamom powder
Method:

  1. In a thick bottomed vessel heat the ghee.
  2. Add the grated carrot and fry till completely dry(approximately 20 minutes).
  3. Add the sugar and mix well, stirring continuously.
  4. Add the milkmaid and continue cooking on a low flame till completely dry(approx 15 to 20 minutes), all the while stirring in between so that it does not burn. When the carrot halwa does not stick to the sides of the vessel, its an indication that the sweet is ready.
  5. Add the cardamom powder and raisins, mix well. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or refrigerate it and have it cold according to your taste.


* The amount of sugar can be increased or decreased accordingly. Keep in mind that you are using sweetened condensed milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment